Civil Engineering ( CE )
Did you know that the construction industry in India is all poised to become the largest employer of the Nation by 2022, with over 72 million employees? Over the next ten years, the country would need approximately 4 million civil engineers on average to cater to the growing real estate and infrastructure demands. But there has been a huge gap between industry expectations and the quality of engineers churned out every year.
With practical training, the Department of Civil Engineering at Velammal Engineering College takes this challenge head-on and has been a pioneer in delivering industry-ready civil engineers since 2007. With NBA and NAAC accreditations as well as ISO certification, the department is now part of an Autonomous institution, affiliated to Anna University. As the world steps up to build sustainable and resilient communities, we know that our engineers would be there to lead the change.
Message from HOD
Dr A Jebamalar Professor and Head of the Department of Civil Engineering
We are extremely proud of our role in providing high quality education and hands-on experience to our students. The Civil Engineering Department of VEC has earned tremendous reputation for qualitative teaching-learning process, teacher-student interactions, state-of-the-art laboratories and well qualified faculty members, positively contributing to the community through teaching, research and consultancy activities.
Why CIVIL Engineering at VEC?
The Civil Engineering Department of Velammal has a two pronged approach that not only provides a solid background in engineering fundamentals but also gives real-time experience through research projects and industry interactions.
Scope of Civil Engineering
Various opportunities are blooming in India in the fields of Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Surveying, Structural Engineering and various other specializations – Better materials, smarter construction, 3D Printing, BIM, Autogenous Repair & Rehabilitation of the structures.
12 highly qualified faculty members serve the department with specialization in the fields of Structural Engineering, Construction Management, Remote Sensing, Environmental Engineering and Water Resource Engineering. We have 3 doctorates who are specialized in Water Resource Engineering and Remote Sensing.
Gold Medal from Anna University in the very first batch
An average of 3 to 5 students secure University Ranks in every batch.
Every year, our students crack GATE exam to pursue higher studies in IITs, NITs, NICMAR etc
Prestigious L & T – Build India Scholarship (BIS) won by our students frequently.
- Construction of a Real House through EWB Students’ Chapter at a Village for Hands-on Training in Field
- Aqua-phonics Barge Farming without LAND
- Piezoelectric based Power Generator using Concrete Slabs in Buildings
- 6 years consecutively winning the Overall Championship of Anna University CIVILIZATION inter-collegiate Technical Meet
- Funded Projects for students from TNSCST (5 Projects) and from IEDC (5 projects each Rs 2 lakhs )
Civil Engineering Placements
- Outstanding Placement Training for both IT and Core Companies
- More than 20 core companies visiting campus and providing good number of offers
- Top notch core companies visiting our campus – Sobha Developers Limited, BGR Energy System, Godrej & Boyce, ACC Limited, Bybitech Academy,
- Hochtief (I) Pvt. Ltd. &Nardil Enterprise (P) Ltd.
- 85% placements on an average
- Highest salary package offered is 5 LPA and average salary package of 3.0 LPA
- Every year our students are joining higher studies in IIT, NIT and Best Universities in abroad.
The Pillars of Civil Engineering
Educational edifice with lakhs of students, hundreds of teachers and several top-notch institutions growing under our umbrella.
- Manned with 12 faculty members, including 3 Doctorates
- All the 12 are armed with expertise in different Specialisations of Civil Engineering such as:
- Water Resources Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Construction Management
- Remote Sensing
- Environment Engineering.
- Research Publications and Conference Presentations are presented both in India and Abroad regularly.
- Senior faculty members offer Consultancy Services to various Public and Private organizations
Mini-Project in the 2nd Year of B.E program
Students are introduced to new subjects and curriculum models like
- Sustainability Engineering
- Robotics & Automation in Construction
- Nano-technology in Civil Engineering
- Software Applications in Civil Engineering
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
- Design of Offshore Structures
- Water Resources System Engineering
- Outstanding Placement Training for both IT and Core Companies
More than 20 core companies offer campus placements
- Top notch core companies visiting our campus – Sobha Developers Limited, BGR Energy System, Godrej & Boyce, ACC Limited, ByBiTech Academy, Hochtief (India) & NaRDil Enterprise.
- 85% student placements every year
- Highest salary package offered has been 5.5 LPA and average salary package of 3.0 LPAEvery year our students are joining higher studies in IIT, NIT and the best Universities in abroad.
- 7state of the art laboratories supporting cutting edge research and innovation
- Surveying Laboratory
- Hydraulics Engineering Laboratory
- Strength of Materials Laboratory
- CADD & Computing Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- Concrete & Highway Laboratory
- Advanced range of equipment enable the students to undertake in-depth research and development
Our rapport and constant interaction with various industry leaders have provided a key advantage in training our students to be job-ready.
Industrial Visit , In-plant / On-site Training , Internships, Project Works , Guest Lectures , Add-on Course
Some of our significant corporate partners include:
UltraTech , L & T, Utracon , ByBiTech – Singapore & also various Government Departments
All Government Departments
The Dept. has signed MoU with various categories of Industries
HiTech Concrete Solutions – Chennai for Concrete Technology Research, ByBiTech – Singapore for BIM Training & Jobs, NHAI for Highway Engg. Internship – GoI Scheme, CADD Centre, Ambattur for CADD, and CMTi for Construction Engineering and Management Training
Apart from these Companies, VEC Civil Engineering Department is also partnering with several Corporates informally for Industrial Visit, Internship, Project Work and other learning activities
Glimpses from Top Notch Infrastructure
Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co.Ltd. - 5.50 LPA
BGR Energy Systems - 2.76 LPA
Fosroc Chemicals - 4.50 LPA
Wipro / Infosys / Hochtief 3.50 / 3.60 / 3.25 LPA
CTS / Wipro / Infosys 4.00 / 3.50 / 3.60 LPA
CTS / Milekal Engineering Rebar D&D 4.00 / 3.40 / 4.00 LPA
Sobha Developers 3.50 LPA
Amazon India 3.50 LPA
CTS / Infosys / Hochtief 3.38 / 3.60 / 3.25 LPA
Infosys / ACC Concrete / Milekal Engineering 3.60 / 4.20 / 2.40 LPA
Armed with 12 faculty members, 3 of whom are Doctorates, with expertise in different Specialisations of Civil Engineering
Dr A Jebamalar has over 25 years of experience and has helped shape VEC’s civil department since its inception. She is a specialist in Water Resources Engineering with a doctorate from College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University
Dr T Revathee specialises in Remote Sensing with a doctorate from CEG, Anna University. She has 16 years of teaching experience apart from 5 years of Industrial Experience.
Dr R Sudharsanan specialises in Water Resources Engineering and has a doctorate from CEG, Anna University. His designs and prototypes on Pile Load Test Equipment, Landless Farming with Aquaphonics on Barges, Concrete Boats, Crop Harvesting Cutter are awaiting patents
Mr T A Rajha Rajeswaran has over 17 years of teaching experience, and 9 years of Industrial, Research and Project experience. He has an ME degree in Construction Engineering and Management from CEG, Anna University and BE from Adhi Parasakthi Engineering College, Melmaruvathur.
Civil Engineering FaQs
- What is the nature of the surrounding environment (urban, suburban, rural, etc.), and is it to your liking?
- What is the size of the school’s campus, both in terms of acreage and number of students, and is it to your liking?
- Are we having Transport facility?
- Can you live off campus if you want to, or if living on campus is important to you, is hostel available?
- Does the college have the major(s) you’re considering, or if you’re undecided, do they have a variety of majors you’re interested in exploring?
- How many students graduate “on time,” in four years?
- What is the average class size for introductory courses? For advanced courses?
- What kinds of internship and student-faculty research opportunities are there?
- What is the student-faculty ratio?
- How will the College help you determine and achieve your career goals?
- What is their postgraduate job placement rate like?
- What does the career services office offer?
- What kinds of internships have students held and how did they find those opportunities?
- How do students spend their free time on campus and off?
- What kinds of fun things are available to students through the school and in the community?
- From sports teams to musical groups to volunteer organizations: can you get or stay involved with activities that are important to you?
- Are there clubs or organizations that pertain to your major or field of study?
- Can students start their own clubs, and what is the process for doing so?
The Pillars of Civil Engineering
Engineering & Medical
- Besides K12 education institutions, we also serve the higher education segment with prestigious Velammal Engineering College and Velammal Medical College, Hospital & Research center.
- Velammal Engineering College was established in the year 1995-96 to impart quality education. It is a self-financing non-minority institution, affiliated to Anna University and approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and also an ISO-certified institution.
- Five years back Velammal Group made its foray into healthcare, and within this short span, Velammal Medical College Hospital with its state-of-the-art infrastructure, expert medical team, and paramedical staff have contributed substantially to the growth of a healthy community in Madurai & southern districts.
- Spread over 110 acres of pristine landscape, this is a one-of-its-kind Medical College with a ‘Teaching Hospital’ project in-country. The Campus is situated in a pollution-free environment that will be housing a 12000-bed teaching hospital, residential quarters for the staff, separate hostels for boys and girls and appealing landscaped gardens.
- The entire construction is designed to suit emerging trends in the global healthcare sector. The Medical College is located on one wing and the hospital on the other wing of the campus. The teaching hospital and Dental College, Physiotherapy and Paramedical Institutions, Nursing School, Nursing College and College of Medical Lab Technology are in the other block of the project.
- The Velammal Medical College Hospital and Research Institute is designed as a multidisciplinary medical hub that’s attached with a medical college and its teaching hospital. Enough space is allocated for allied facilities like dental college and hospital, nursing college, school of nursing, and the institute of paramedical science.